Saturday, May 24, 2008

Pickle-ruski






This week I bought a world map at the teacher supply store to add to Pickle's room. I asked him to pick out a country he wanted to learn something about. He picked an area in Russia (not hard to do since it does account for 1/8 of the world!) So, this week we have been learning about Russia. We got a couple of non-fiction books from the library and some folk tales that were adapted from Russian stories.-- likeClay Boy, The Flying Ship and The Giant Carrot.


On the first day, Pickle painted his version of the Russian flag (white, blue and red stripe) On the next day, we colored (i helped) a picture of Matroyshka dolls (nesting dolls). On the last day, we created our interpretation of Kandinsky's A Study of Abstract Squares using cut out circles and squares (very easy and fun!)

We didn't watch it this week, but he also has a Little Einsteins DVD that is based on Stravinsky's Firebird and is set in Russia. The bad guy is an ogre named Katschi who is drawn like a little nesting doll. It is very cute!

Next week we are on to China.

2 comments:

Jenny O. said...

Seriously, you blow me away. This is such a creative, wonderful thing to do. I'm inspired! Way to go, Chris!

huitzilin said...

I can't wait for Olivia to be old enough to do this sort of fun stuff! And I hope that I can be as creative as you when it comes to teaching her things.