Today Pickle and I watched the Academy Award winning animated short film Peter and the Wolf on PBS' Great Performances. It is a really well-done piece with hauntingly beautiful animation and an interesting take on the musical performance. I remember first hearing Sergei Prokofiev work in music class in elementary school. Like many others, my teacher had us listen to the music and learn which instrument represented which character in the work. This adaptation has a bird, duck, cat, and wolf in addition to the boy and grandfather.
Ideally, the movie is probably better suited to a little older children, but there is only one animal death (I won't tell who). Pickle enjoyed it and wanted to watch it several times. For older children you could emphasize the musical component as well as ideas about freedom, animal cruelty, and treating others like you want to be treated.
The PBS show also includes a feature on how they made the movie. It is really remarkable.
View trailer here:
Monday, March 31, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment